Industrial Contracts Officer
Company: Stanford University
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: May 22, 2023
The Industrial Contracts Office (ICO) is a unit within the Office
of Technology Licensing , Stanford's technology transfer office.
OTL evaluates, markets and licenses technology created by the
university. ICO is responsible for reviewing, negotiating, and
signing a variety of research-related agreements on behalf of
Stanford with industry and some non-profit collaborators, including
sponsored research, material transfer, and equipment loan
agreements. ICO Contract Officers have authority to sign
research-related agreements on behalf of Stanford University and
ensure that all agreements comply with Stanford policy, sound
business practice, and legal requirements. ICO works closely with
the OTL Licensing Team to ensure that Stanford's intellectual
property are protected and developed to serve the public
interest.Our VPDoR Diversity Journey:
- We create a hub of innovation through the power of diversity of
disciplines and people. -
- We provide equitable access and opportunity to all members of
the community in order to do their best work, regardless of race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
- We listen to and value all colleagues who bring diverse
perspectives to the advancement and development of a respectful
- We promote a culture of belonging, equity, and safety.
- We embed these values in excellence of education, research, and
The Office of Industrial Contracts at Stanford University is
seeking an Industrial Contracts Officer 1 to independently draft,
negotiate and administer industry sponsored project agreements and
collaborations, and material transfer agreements. Hold delegated
signing authority for agreements on behalf of the university.This
is a 100% FTE, benefits-eligible position. For consideration,
please submit resume. All final candidates must complete a
background check.CORE DUTIES:
- Conduct formal negotiations, finalize, and administer industry
sponsored project agreements, commensurate with experience.
- Negotiate intellectual property and publication rights, as well
as confidentiality, indemnification, and invoicing terms.
- Negotiate complex Material Transfer Agreements, draft language
that complies with University, Federal and other regulatory
policies, requirements, and conditions.
- Negotiate other research-related agreements that involve
intellectual property, publication, and confidentiality
- Identify contractual and policy issues such as compliance,
conflicts of interest and accounting, provide follow through until
- Advise and assist client groups by interpreting and explaining
contract terms and conditions of material transfers and industry
sponsored project agreements.
- Assist in resolving contractual problems that arise during
course of project by consulting with investigators, staff and
- Review and revise standard agreements to reflect changes in
University policies, Federal regulations and laws.
- This is a hybrid role, which requires a regular presence at the
employer's local Stanford Work Location. Required regular presence
is determined based on business needs, and is typically two, three,
or four days per week or an equivalent amount of time monthly.*
Other duties may also be assigned.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or a
combination of education and relevant experience.Knowledge, Skills
- Demonstrated ability to draft, negotiate and conclude industry
- Demonstrated understanding of intellectual property and
licensing issues as they pertain to industry sponsored
- Demonstrated understanding of university research environment
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively
communicate information to internal and external audiences, client
groups and all levels of management.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to review and
analyze complex information.
- Strong service orientation, demonstrated ability to work
effectively in a fast-paced, action-oriented, customer-focused
- Extremely detail oriented and able to work well independently,
but also able to seek out assistance when needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good judgment and the ability
to conduct negotiations in a timely manner.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize a
variety of tasks and demands.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and
ability to learn applicable university and departmental
- Frequently perform desk based computer tasks, seated work and
use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally use a telephone, stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop,
squat, write by hand, sort, and file paperwork or parts. -
- Rarely lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10
pounds.* Consistent with its obligations under the law, the
University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee
with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the
essential functions of the job.WORKING CONDITIONS:
- May have occasional extended or weekend work hours during peak
business cycles.WORK STANDARDS:
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .The expected
pay range for this position is $97,000 to $119,000 per annum.
Stanford University provides pay ranges representing its good faith
estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for a
position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be
determined based on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope
and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the
selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal
equity, geographic location and external market pay for comparable
-Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms.
Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and
research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized
the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is
our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to
impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks
empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition
reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening,
or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous
time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds
of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise
facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails,
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing
incentives, discounts and more!The job duties listed are typical
examples of work performed by positions in this job classification
and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a
comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities.
Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on
department or program needs without changing the general nature and
scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also
perform other duties as assigned.Stanford is an equal employment
opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
-We're always looking for people who can bring new perspectives and
life experiences to our team. Found the perfect role and ready to
apply? Learn more on what to expect next.
Keywords: Stanford University, Redwood City , Industrial Contracts Officer, Accounting, Auditing , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...