Senior Partner Engineer
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: October 18, 2020
At Caffeine, we want to change how people consume live
television - making it more friendly, connected, and fun. To do
this, we're building a new social broadcasting platform that
features world-class content, easy-to-use broadcasting tools, a
social and fun viewing experience, and an engaged broadcaster
This is an exciting and enormous challenge, and we will only be
successful if we build a supportive and collaborative team. Our
teams prioritize delighting our community of viewers and
broadcasters, working with intention, taking ownership of our
commitments, and acting with resilience and determination-all with
the intention to ship greatness, always.
The Partner Engineering team supports the Content & Business
Development teams, ensuring broadcasts run smoothly and partners
get what they need to be successful. We anticipate partner needs,
have a solid understanding of the product and Caffeine's video
distribution platform, and use that knowledge to solve live
production problems and communicate across teams.
We are looking for a Senior Partner Engineer to support broadcasts
remotely (and in some cases, onsite). This person will work with
strategic partners before broadcasting to understand their needs,
propose video delivery options, present technical challenges to the
Engineering team, set up testing schedules and participate in
rehearsals, and monitor the video platform during events. This role
would appeal to someone who loves technical problem solving and
building relationships.Technical Experience:
- Designing live production and real-time streaming setups, Small
- Operational understanding of h.264 and x264 codecs
- Understanding of video services including MediaLive and
- Solid understanding of video transmission over TCP and UDP
- In-depth Working knowledge of OBS
- Understanding of broadcast workflows, large multicam to small
- Ability to write scripts in a programming language to automate
What You'll Do:
- Act as the main technical Point of Contact for content partners
and events. You will need to understand the entire video pipeline,
from the camera and production truck to our custom-built, real-time
CDN to the WebRTC video playback in the viewing clients. You will
coordinate video delivery testing, diagnose issues, build tools,
and educate partners to ensure events run efficiently.
- Assess content partner needs. Learn and understand the hardware
and software partners are using, research any technical challenges
they may have, and present those to Engineering and Product teams.
Propose high quality solutions with your understanding of real-time
video transmission protocols (RTMP, RTP, MPEG-TS, HLS,
- Onboard content partners to the Caffeine platform and the
Caffeine Partner Portal. This involves hands-on training for
partners as well as writing runbooks, checklists and methodologies
for internal and external uses.
- Travel onsite to Entertainment, Sports, Esports, and other
live-broadcasting events to provide direct technical support. You
will use your charming personality to quickly establish a
relationship with the onsite technical production crew. Melding
communication channels and improving information-sharing to
diagnose issues immediately. You will be the conduit for technical
communication to other Caffeine teams about schedule changes as
well as any onsite technical difficulties.
Who You Are & What You've Done:
- Experience designing live production and real-time streaming
setups with a deep understanding of both traditional and digital
- Designed video transmission pipelines in a highly reliable
- Communicated effectively with multiple remote teams, keeping
everyone informed and managing expectations.
- Shown ability to solve problems and deliver in a live, (and
sometimes ambiguous) stressful environment.
- Experience using AWS MediaLive, the Elemental video suite, and
- Have written scripts and tools to automate processes.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Caffeine. We believe
that different perspectives lead to better ideas, and better ideas
allow us to better understand the needs and interests of our
diverse, global community. We welcome people of different
backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and are an
equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Caffeine, Redwood City , Senior Partner Engineer, Engineering , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!