Senior Mechanical Engineer 1 of 2
Company: Johnson & Johnson
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: February 20, 2021
Johnson & Johnson, Robotics and Digital Solutions (RAD) group is
recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineer located in Redwood
Robotics & Digital Solutions is part of Ethicon, Inc., a global
leader in surgery with products and solutions found in almost every
operating room around the world. Ethicon has made significant
contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from creating the
first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive
procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of
Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most
pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives.
Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including
robotics, digital solutions, sutures, staplers, energy devices,
trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical
conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation
to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit
The RAD group is seeking a highly motivated individual who is a
self-starter and is passionate about mechanical design for complex
This position places an emphasis on working closely with a
multi-disciplinary engineering team to develop and test
sophisticated hardware designs. Candidates must be self-motivated,
creative, independent and have an eagerness to learn and work as a
team. As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will support the
development of robotic systems for a variety of surgical
Core Job Responsibilities
- Mechanical Engineer to develop a robotic platform for surgical
applications focusing on robots and systems
- Responsible for next generation development of the hardware
platform, including mechatronics, robotics, kinematic analysis, FEA
simulation, component selection, electromechanical integration, and
platform hardware architecture
- Responsibilities include developing requirements,
brainstorming, machine & system design, rapid prototyping, project
management, vendor management, testing, troubleshooting and root
- Further responsibilities may include technical lead for large
parts of the system.
- Develop system specifications, protocols, and reports.
- Work within design controls, compliance testing, FMEA, CE, ISO,
FDA and other regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate with other team members (manufacturing, electrical,
software, mechanical, imaging, system, clinical, quality) to solve
complex, system level design challenges.
- Provide excellent communication of technical and program level
issues as they arise to support the needs of the entire product
- Conduct all work within the guidelines of the Auris Quality
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with
over 6 or more years of experience in developing system hardware or
capital equipment is required.
- Experience developing robotic arms is preferred.
- Experience in structural designs, complex mechanisms and
mechatronic applications is required.
- Experience with precision components (gears, belts, lead
screws), encoders and servo-motor selection is required.
- Experience in CAD, such as SolidWorks (preferred), and/or
- Strong understanding of fabrication methods including
machining, sheet metal, rapid prototyping, sand casting and
- Hands-on engineering with the proven ability to work well in a
- Analysis skills, including statics, dynamics, strength of
materials and stress analysis.
- Must be capable of working independently and in a team while
being flexible, self-motivated, curious and willing to
revolutionize the world of medical robotics.
- An approachable individual who provides a high level of
teamwork and cross-functional collaboration.
- Previous experience in developing Medical Devices in an FDA
regulated environment is preferred.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity
employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin,
protected veteran status, disability status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Johnson & Johnson, Redwood City , Senior Mechanical Engineer 1 of 2, Engineering , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!