Senior Mechanical Engineer
Company: Johnson & Johnson
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: February 21, 2021
Robotics & Digital Solutions, part of the Johnson & Johnson family
of companies, is recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineer
located in Santa Clara, CA.
Robotics & Digital Solutions is part of Ethicon, Inc., a global
leader in surgery with products and solutions found in almost every
operating room around the world. Ethicon has made significant
contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from creating the
first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive
procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of
Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most
pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives.
Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including
robotics, digital solutions, sutures, staplers, energy devices,
trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical
conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation
to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit .
We're looking for a highly motivated Sr. Mechanical Engineer who is
passionate about mechanical design and applying this knowledge to
the field of medical robotics. You'll be part of a fast-paced
environment within a multi-disciplinary engineering team which is
focused on quantitative results and delivery of a system that
exceeds expectations of the customer. As an experienced
professional, you will lead projects, mentor engineers, communicate
within and across teams, and demonstrate and share your
sophisticated mechanical engineering knowledge to drive projects to
completion. In addition to team collaboration, you'll also actively
work on results-oriented individual projects within medical
Core Job Responsibilities
- As a member of the Mechanical Engineering R&D team, you
will contribute to the development of a robotic platform for
surgical applications focusing on large systems, sophisticated
actuators, structural designs, instrument manipulators, instrument
interfaces, robotic setup joint systems and electronic
- Understand system and subsystem-level requirements and
component capabilities in order to design elegant solutions to
problems which may appear to be highly constrained.
- Design and create electromechanical prototypes which can be
used to inform and drive design decisions.
- Provide hands-on, troubleshooting, process and manufacturing
assistance in support of a rapid development cycle.
- Create design solutions which utilize engineering methods with
good documentation processes, and be able to release design
documentation through an ECO process.
- Ability and willingness to work through all phases of product
development from conceptualization to mass production.
- Must be capable of working independently and in a team, while
being flexible, self-motivated, curious and willing to redefine the
world of medical robotics.
- BS Mechanical Engineering or similar required; MS Mechanical
- Minimum of 4 years of working experience designing and building
electromechanical systems is required.
- Demonstrated excellence in both mechanical and
electromechanical mechanism design is required.
- Proven experience with various types of motors, encoders,
sensors, and geartrain, torque transfer, and linear guide hardware
- Experience designing for manufacturability and solid
understanding of common manufacturing processes: machining,
casting, stamping, forming, or injection molding is required
- Experience with all phases of product development lifecycle
including design, implementation, debug, verification & validation,
qualification, and transfer to manufacturing is preferred.
- Proven experience and proficiency using CAD to design and
document both large and small parts and assemblies is required,
SolidWorks is preferred.
- Ability to perform basic FEA or other analyses focused on
mechanical strength, heat generation and dynamic performance is
- Practical or professional experience in robotics is
- Experience in medical capital equipment is preferred
- Experience working in an ISO and FDA regulated environment is
- Ability to travel up to 10%, domestic and international, is
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity
Employer. Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal
opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Johnson & Johnson, Redwood City , Senior Mechanical Engineer, Engineering , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!