Sr. Upstream Bioprocess Engineer (Performance Enzymes)
Company: Codexis Inc.
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: January 8, 2022
Are you ready to join our mission to enhance protein
optimization and production? Do you have a passion for applying
innovative technology to create novel products? Come be part of the
Codexis, Inc. team where every day we get to unlock the power of
Since 2002, Codexis scientists and bioinformatics experts have
worked collaboratively with our customers to do just that, enabling
breakthrough developments for applications across multiple
industries! As Codexis expands its footprint we are in constant
need to find new ways to diversify applications of our
CodeEvolverTM protein engineering platform.
But we cant do it without YOU!
To help us meet our goals we are looking to hire an Upstream Sr.
Process Engineer to join our Bioprocess Development team. In this
role you will leverage your technical expertise and lead project
teams in upstream process development and scale up of recombinant
protein productions for performance enzymes. You will have the
opportunities to lead the development and the transfer of those
processes to contract manufacturers. Additionally, you will
participate and be a critical team member in efforts to expand
Codexis production platform.
If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet
- Are you excited to be part of a team that translates scientific
discovery into commercial reality?
- Do you thrive in a fast-paced yet collaborative and supportive
- Would you enjoy leading a small team of process engineers and
research associates to enable team success?
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Lead project teams to develop upstream processes including
fermentation and primary recovery for performance enzymes using
appropriate scale-down models.
- Generate data package of key performance indicators from
scaledown runs to drive tech-transfer and scale-up.
- Provide hands on training and mentorship to bioprocess
engineers, research associates and technicians to develop
competency in running fermentation and downstream recovery
- Collaborate with vendors to identify/incorporate bioprocessing
solutions which includes bringing in right sized equipments and
consumables for appropriate scale down systems.
- Define and implement improvements to our standard operating
procedures, batch production records and writing new protocols when
- Manage multiple project timelines and communicate project
status and challenges to key stakeholders in a clear, concise and
- Develop new technologies for fermentation and recovery
processes to expand Codexis production platform.
To be successful in this role, your background and experience
- M.S or B.S. in Chemical or Bioprocessing Engineering or a
related field with at least 7+ years relevant industrial experience
in fermentation and downstream processing.
- Hands on experience working with a variety of 10-50L scale
stainless steel fermentation units is preferred (e.g. Sartorius,
ABEC and Eppendorf systems).
- Working knowledge of the protein recovery experiments using
unit operations such as homogenization, centrifugation, depth
filtration, microfiltration, and ultrafiltration.
- Experience in experiment design (DOE) and statistical analysis
of technical data is preferred.
- Experience with project management and have demonstrated
experience of leading projects from start to finish.
- Good understanding of basic microbial physiology and protein
biochemistry, coupled with practical knowledge of process
engineering and plant operations including unit operations involved
in primary recovery of recombinant proteins
- Exposure to pilot and commercial scale fermentation is
desirable. This individual should understand engineering issues
involved in scale up and possesses both practical and analytical
skills to implement relevant scale down models.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written)
skills, documentation, organization, good record keeping, writing
reports and SOPs.
- Able to think critically and work effectively in cross
functional teams to solve manufacturing problems or implement
- Mentor and supervise staff as well as work effectively with
management teams. Committed to fostering growth of mentees within
supportive work environment.
A Working knowledge of the following would be deemed a huge
- Experience in performing COGS and process economic analysis is
- Knowledge in regulatory requirement for food enzyme production
is a plus
- Experience in diverse expression microorganisms such as E.coli,
Bacillus and Fungal hosts
- Experience with tech-transfer and managing PD activities
related to external CMOs is a plus
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative
- Full benefits on your first day
- 100% match on 401k (up to 4%)
- Generous flex time of
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful
discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry,
age, disability, marital & veteran status.
Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: Codexis Inc., Redwood City , Sr. Upstream Bioprocess Engineer (Performance Enzymes), Engineering , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!