Lactation Consultant Nurse - .5 FTE - Capitol Hill
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Job Summary: To coordinate and monitor the care of newborns and
provide lactation support to new mothers in the postpartum
- Employs an interdisciplinary approach to providing
comprehensive newborn assessment and lactation support; facilitates
the coordination of all necessary services for patients and
families. Coordinates patient care for hospital admissions,
specialty referrals, and ancillary support departments based on the
assessment from the newborn visit. May consult with the Provider
for further assessment; coordinate with other Lactation
Consultants, Continuing Care services, or staff. May also
coordinate the member receipt of a hospital grade breast pump which
is considered DME.
- Within the assigned service area of operation, contacts every
woman who has delivered a newborn, offers telephonic assessment and
lactation support, generates a nursing care plan, and monitors
follow up. Assesses the needs of the mother and her newborn in the
post-partum period. Documents identified high risk factors and
problems, which may require consultation and intervention, and
plans for appropriate follow up.
- Collaborates with other members of the health care team to
identify parents educational and competency gaps related to
breastfeeding and newborn assessment. Conducts and documents
individual or family lactation or newborn visits in the Medical
Center to address the identified gaps associated with the Newborn
or Lactation visit.
- In collaboration with other members of the health care team at
their assigned medical office building, assesses staff knowledge
and identifies competency-based educational needs of staff related
to breastfeeding patients and newborn assessment. In collaboration
with the KPWA Health Education department, provides both formal and
informal medical and nursing staff education services in a manner
that is consistent, uniform, efficient and cost-effective.
Evaluates the effectiveness of the education and modifies
educational plans as needed in conjunction with the Health
- Maintains precise records, data, and statistics in order to
ensure accurate reporting and documentation of quality assurance
and improvement measures and facilitate research efforts.
- Represents facility at quarterly Regional Lactation workgroup
- Represents the Lactation Consulting program in facility and
regional committees and initiatives.
- Performs duties of the clinical nurse in assigned setting when
- Assists with development and updating of lactation protocols in
collaboration with a health care team of physicians, nurse
practitioner, midwife, social workers, and nutritionists.
- Teaches group prenatal newborn care and lactation classes.
- Manages DME breast pumps.
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Redwood City , Lactation Consultant Nurse - .5 FTE - Capitol Hill, Healthcare , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...