HR Manager, Business Affairs
Company: Stanford University
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: January 5, 2022
WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms.
Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and
research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized
the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is
our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to
impact the future of our legacy.
Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition
reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening,
or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous
time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of
health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities.
We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails,
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing
incentives, discounts and more!
Though this position has a direct reporting line into the
University IT (UIT) HR Director, this position will have 60% time
dedicated to University IT and 40% to supporting HR for other units
across Business Affairs (BA). Learn more about all the pillars of
Business Affairs by visiting
There will be a dotted reporting relationship to the two other HR
Associate Directors within BA. Under general supervision on all
areas of general human resources, this position interacts with a
diverse group of individuals in an active, fast paced, challenging,
and rewarding environment. This position will be first point of
contact for human resources inquiries and handle all facets HR for
UIT. Facets include directly managing leaves of absences, tracking
workers' compensation claims, and requests for reasonable workplace
accommodations. This position will also directly manage the Worker'
s Comp and Disability programs for all of Business Affairs. In
addition, this position will support attracting and retaining
extraordinary talent in Business Affairs, from helping hiring
managers craft engaging job postings to designing and delivering
impactful workshops. This is a dynamic group, and this role will
also be a key participant in supporting organizational growth and
ABOUT BUSINESS AFFAIRS and UIT:
Business Affairs provides administrative policies, infrastructure,
systems, services, and support for the benefit of the University
community. Business Affairs is focused on continuous improvement in
delivering excellent service to our clients and becoming ever more
- Collaborate with the organization's management and human
resources team to support initiatives by understanding the
organization's issues and needs. Participate in planning processes
and promote best practices.
- Assist in the implementation of strategies for facilitating
organizational and behavioral change. Participate on organizational
design and related development issues.
- Investigate basic employee relations issues and recommend
appropriate resolution; work in consultation with more senior level
human resources manager/director to resolve complex issues. Coach
and advise on organizational, employee, and labor relations
- Assist in overseeing the performance appraisal process; ensure
the appropriate process is followed. - Assist hiring managers in
talent management (recruitment and staffing plans).
- Administer area's salary-setting program to meet the
organization and university's guidelines.
- Advise managers on assignment of employees to appropriate
classification levels; review and approve salary actions, as
needed. Consult with manager and/or human resources director or
university compensation on complex issues.
- Identify, communicate, and consult with staff on training and
career development opportunities.
- Conduct relevant training, and participate in training design,
- Oversee processes for workers' compensation, disability, leave,
workplace accommodation requests, and health and safety issues;
consult with managers, senior human resources manager or director,
as needed. Oversee the accurate documentation and
- Oversee and/or approve human resources transactions submitted
for processing. Ensure accurate and timely recordkeeping practices.
Prepare reports and analyze data available through local and
centralized database resources.
* Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and three years relevant experience, or a
combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in at least two human
resources areas, including: employee relations, employment and
labor law, compensation, staffing and employment, training and
development, performance coaching and management, and
- Experience with a unionized workforce.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and understanding of group
dynamics. Successful track record of establishing credibility and
trust with a diverse client group.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving,
judgment, and influencing skills. Ability to maintain
confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to
prepare clear and concise reports and deliver formal presentations
- Demonstrated proficiency with business applications, such as
Microsoft Office suite and human resource information
systems.Certifications and Licenses: None
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a computer; use a telephone,
grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally reach/work above shoulders,
twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp forcefully, lift/carry/push/pull
objects that weigh up to 10 pounds, write by hand, sort/file
- Rarely kneel/crawl, operate foot and/or hand controls.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Travel on campus to schools/units, out of
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by
positions in this job classification and are not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all
duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and
responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs
without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level
of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will
provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability
who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of
his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4705
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: I
- Requisition ID: 91740
Keywords: Stanford University, Redwood City , HR Manager, Business Affairs, Human Resources , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!