Director of Internal Communications
Company: Chan Zuckerberg
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan
Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that's
leveraging technology to help solve some of society's toughest
challenges - from eradicating disease, to improving education.
Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we're pairing
engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and
advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just
and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas -
regardless of structure and stage - and help them scale by pairing
engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that
accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to
iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also
realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the
communities we serve because no one understands our society's
challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people
from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each
other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look
for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically
marginalized groups - women, people with disabilities, people of
color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay,
bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and
second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different
This role at CZI is an opportunity for an experienced
communications leader to own internal communications strategy and
execution for a dynamic and fast-growing organization. In this
role, you will be responsible for overseeing an internal
communications program that supports a strong, vibrant culture
across the organization and fosters a clear understanding of CZI's
mission and goals - helping to ensure CZI-ers are informed, engaged
and inspired every day. You will also serve as a strategic internal
communications partner to our founders and leadership team.
This role sits on the Communications and Brand Team and reports
to CZI's Head of Communications and Brand, though requires working
closely with the CZI People and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
teams and extensive engagement and collaboration across a matrixed
organization. You will have one direct report, our Internal
- Oversee a comprehensive internal communications strategy for a
unique, first of its kind philanthropic organization with a
passionate and mission-driven workforce that spans a diverse array
of fields and backgrounds.
- Partner closely with founders, Chief Operating Officer, Head of
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and People team, managing all
org-wide communications and internal information sharing, including
crisis and change management.
- Manage all internal employee gatherings, including monthly All
Hands meetings and annual offsite.
- Develop executive communications materials including remarks
and correspondence to employees.
- Proactively lead and execute internal communications projects
and campaigns that lift up CZI's work and mission and support a
positive culture and engaged workforce.
- Serve as an advisor on internal communications to other senior
operations leaders across the organization.
- Support the Recruiting team around employee brand efforts.
- 10+ years of experience as a senior-level communications leader
who has managed the development and execution of internal
communications strategies for a high-profile organization or
- Demonstrated passion for strong internal culture.
- Crafted executive communications materials for internal
- Crisis management experience around sensitive workforce
- Advised and supported high-level executives or principals.
- Exemplary written and oral communications skills.
- People management experience, including management of outside
agencies or contractors.
- Comfort working in an ambiguous, matrixed environment, where
decisions happen fast and we learn by doing and adapt as
- Willingness and ability to work collaboratively, adapt to a
dynamic work environment, and navigate complexity to deliver
- Strong, demonstrated interest in diversity, equity and
inclusion practices. Preference for personal or professional
experience integrating DEI policies and practice.
- Demonstrated capacity for empathy and/or life experiences and
perspectives that represent the unique needs of CZI's ERG
communities. Prior engagement with or leadership of employee
affinity groups preferred.
Keywords: Chan Zuckerberg, Redwood City , Director of Internal Communications, Other , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!