Oracle Database Administrator
Company: Stanford University
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Position Title: Oracle Database Administrator
Department: Business Affairs, University IT
Date: November 13, 2020
Stanford's central IT organization is looking for an experienced
Database Administrator to join the Enterprise Technology team to
support the implementation, maintenance, and upkeep of multiple
Oracle database applications and business intelligence systems.
This position will provide technical expertise in the setup,
configuration, administration, and maintenance of relational
database management systems and associated middleware that support
mission-critical projects, processes, and activities. The position
monitors and tunes databases to optimal performance and ensures
proper security, integrity, and recovery of data. The database
administrator is responsible for upgrades and patches to the
infrastructure components of the Data Management Reporting (DMR)
and Alumni and Development Applications Platform Transition (ADAPT)
ecosystems. Components will include database servers, application
servers, web servers, integration servers, replication servers,
administration servers, and related technologies.
- Install, configure, and support relational database management
systems (RDBMS) and related software to resolve highly complex
and/or unique issues without precedent and/or structure. Work on
databases using more advanced database administration
- Install, configure, monitor, and backup Oracle Business
Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) servers in high
availability (HA) configuration.
- Design, develop, and maintain highly available databases.
- Build, configure, secure, and enhance infrastructure server
environments for ADAPT applications and systems.
- Take responsibility for database design and performance
optimization, backup and recovery strategies, and implementation,
as well as monitoring the overall health of the database
- Execute complete database solutions from evaluation to
- Provide on-going system administration and technical
- Review the physical and logical design of databases for optimal
database structures, performance tuning, security, and database
backup/recovery. Plan and implement proactive and reactive
performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting, and capacity
- Evaluate and test marketplace tools and utilities, including
system integration and automation, which enhance server
functionality and promote the development of RDBMS
- Develop and maintain efficient and appropriate connectivity
solutions between various campus databases to ensure necessary data
is available as needed.
- Create data flow and data lifecycle documentation.
- Develop and enforce database standards and/or new development
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for
- Ensure all systems and procedures adhere to organizational best
- Assist with code reviews and environment certification for
- Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience or
combination of education and relevant experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in the support requirements of large
database applications/systems including performance analysis and
tuning of high volume, transaction systems.
- Demonstrated experience supporting Oracle business intelligence
(OBIEE), analytics, and visualization environments, along with the
installation and configuration of dependent infrastructure
components like ODBC, Oracle client, and repositories.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the design and
implementation of complex database architecture.
- Extensive experience in programming environments.
- Ability to develop a vision for future computing needs and to
develop appropriate plans to meet these needs.
- Ability to work well independently or as a team member.
- Ability to maintain knowledge of new and current technology and
- Ability to collaborate with vendors and system service
providers, provide administration for system solutions, and act as
- Extensive experience with database security protocol.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience administrating, monitoring, capacity planning, and
tuning Oracle 12c/18c/19c/20c databases.
- Experience with Oracle BI repository (RPD), catalog and
security metadata migration, and environment propagation.
- Experience with backup and recovery of OBIEE/BI Publisher
- Experience with Oracle SQL, SQLNET, SQLLoader, SQL
Plus, and Import/Export utilities in a Windows server or Linux
- Experience with Web servers and Java Application servers such
as Fusion Middleware, Apache, and Tomcat.
- Experience PowerShell, Python, and/or Shell Scripting.
- Experience with Tableau deployment and administration
- Experience with data integration and replication tools such as
Oracle Golden Gate, Sesame Relational Junction desired.
- Experience with Enterprise scheduling tools and batch
- Knowledge of database encryption, auditing, and logging
- Knowledge of data marts and data warehousing functionality
- Knowledge of agile and waterfall project management
Certifications and Licenses
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP), a plus.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh
up to 10 pounds.
- Extended hours, evenings, and weekends.
- Must be available for on-call work.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to stay in sync with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in Stanford's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
We're located in Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City
campus is open and brings together 2,700 staff in a collaborative
environment that reflects Stanford's culture and mission. The
campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion,
a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare
center. As part of our telecommute options, we have Stanford
locations in San Francisco, Newark, and San Jose and a supportive
work-anywhere program for our Bay Area staff.
Why Stanford is for You:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms.
Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and
research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized
the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is
our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to
impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks
empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition
reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening,
or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous
time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of
health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities.
We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails,
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing
incentives, discounts, and more!
We are not able to provide relocation or sponsorship for this
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by
positions in this job classification and are not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all
duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and
responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs
without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level
of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative
action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4762
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 88020
Keywords: Stanford University, Redwood City , Oracle Database Administrator, Other , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!