Senior Bioinformatics Scientist I
Company: Exact Sciences
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Senior Bioinformatics Scientist I is an experienced
individual who supports R&D teams in the development of and
continuous improvements to next-generation sequencing (NGS) and
other molecular assays. This position requires prior experience
with molecular techniques, bioinformatic pipelines, relational data
systems, and statistical analysis. This person will play a critical
role in the early-stage optimization and development of clinical
assays by supporting analysis and interpretation of data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development and testing of novel and
traditional bioinformatics tools to analyze NGS data for
- Contribute to the development, testing, and routine use of
analysis pipelines for clinical NGS.
- Contribute to the development of programs for collection,
extraction, analysis, presentation, or tracking of data.
- Mine and analyze public and proprietary genomic data for cancer
biomarker discovery using publicly available and custom developed
- Use SQL and/or other scripting languages to retrieve relevant
data from various bioinformatics databases.
- Interpret and visualize results using a variety of methods,
from data aggregation to statistical analysis.
- Generate, optimize, and maintain scripts for routine genomic
data processing, curation, and storage.
- Provide customized data analysis support and training to the
- Communicate findings in a clear and logical manner to help
stakeholders make scientific decisions based on the data.
- Ability to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability,
innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System
policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Considerable periods of time may be spent concentrating and or
- Considerable periods of time may be spent communicating
verbally and in various written forms including presentation
material and email with other people.
- Master's degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science,
Engineering, Mathematics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology,
Life Science, or related technical field; or Bachelor's degree in
Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics,
Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Life Science, or related
technical field and 2 years of experience in lieu of a Master's
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in bioinformatics, biology,
mathematics, or data mining.
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience with statistical/scientific
programming and scripting language (e.g., R, Python, or
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience with NGS data
- 1+ years of demonstrated experience using and developing
Bioinformatic tools for NGS analysis.
- 1+ years of experience with public databases (e.g., NCBI, UCSC,
- Demonstrated ability to successfully use database language for
queries (e.g., SQL).
- Strong knowledge of genome browsers, aligners, and
- Strong knowledge of NGS data formats.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the
position with or without accommodation.
- PhD. degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biostatistics,
Computational Biology, Life science or related technical
- 2+ years of experience using and developing Bioinformatic tools
for NGS analysis.
- 1+ years of work experience in a regulated industry.
- 1+ years of work experience in a Medical Device
- Knowledge and understanding of NGS, molecular biology, and NGS
- Knowledge of cancer, genetics, or molecular biology
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin,
protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
and any other status protected by applicable local, state or
federal law. Applicable portions of the Company's affirmative
action program are available to any applicant or employee for
inspection upon request.
Keywords: Exact Sciences, Redwood City , Senior Bioinformatics Scientist I, Other , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!