Accessioning Technician II
Company: Exact Sciences
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Accessioning Technician II is responsible for handling and
recording patient and study specimens sent to Exact Sciences for
testing and supporting management in triaging workflow issues.
Daily operations within the Accessioning department include, but
not limited to; order processing, case management, sample
processing, management of associated documents and records, and
inter-departmental communication and collaboration. An important
part of the accessioning process is to identify incomplete or
missing information and/or unacceptable specimens received, and to
initiate outreach to physicians and other stakeholders for
clarification in a timely manner to minimize impact on test
The Accessioning Technician II has the knowledge and skills to
perform duties beyond the job functions of the Accessioning
Technician I, with expected quality and throughput. For example,
processing moderately complex order and case types, troubleshooting
common issues, managing orders and samples on hold, reviewing
supplemental documents for missing information, assisting
management in SOP revision, record review, interviews, staff
training, data collection, tracking and trending, addressing
non-conformance, or project planning and execution as assigned.
To be successful in this role, the Accessioning Technician II
must demonstrate the ability to follow standard operating
procedures and work independently in a regulated work environment,
possess a good understanding of the job requirements and function
effectively as a member of the Exact Sciences team. This individual
is adaptive to change, detail oriented, focused, effective at
managing time, organized and able to communicate within the
clinical laboratory teams and to key internal customers to achieve
common goals. This individual will participate in process
improvement activities to ensure scalability and operational
excellence. This individual will support or participate in internal
and external audits, quality assurance and quality management
activities to ensure laboratory compliance with the applicable
quality standards and regulatory requirements.
The position will report to the Accessioning Supervisor within
the Laboratory Operations organization at Exact Sciences in Redwood
City, CA. Shift will be 3:00PM-11:30PM PT.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform timely and accurate data entry and verification of
incoming orders and samples according to standard operating
- Assist management in triaging workflow issues.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and ability to process moderately
complex order types and can troubleshoot common order and sample
issues in the systems.
- Identify and accurately document incomplete information
necessary for laboratory testing.
- Ensure timely initiation of case management and handoff to the
Customer Service departments when outreach is required.
- Review, update and resolve task assignments received from
Customer Service and Histology.
- Review, update and resolve moderately complex case order types
with support from others.
- Organize and process incoming samples, print barcode labels and
route to histology for laboratory processing according to the SOPs,
within the scheduled timeframe with consistency and accuracy.
- Routinely monitor orders and samples on hold and release the
approved ones within the established time frame to minimize
turn-around-time impact. Collect data and information to track
issues or monitor trends.
- Review supplemental documents submitted with patient specimens
to clarify information provided on the test order form. Identify
missing data and transcribe information from the documents to
systems as appropriate.
- Review department SOPs annually or as updates occur. Provide
feedback for SOP revision.
- Perform equipment maintenance or function checks. Assist in
equipment record review.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of the work area; adhere
to health and safety practices established in the SOPs, including
but not limited to, the use of personal protective equipment when
- May participate in the interview, feedback session and
on-boarding of new staff.
- Assist in staff training or group training sessions
- Participate in Quality Assurance (QA) activities such as, but
not limited to, quality improvement projects, issue tracking,
internal audits and inspection preparation.
- Report issues or potential non-conformance events to
supervisors for follow up. Follow the SOP to document these issues
- Assist Management and QA in investigation, root cause analysis
or other activities associated with NCR or CAPA.
- Demonstrate process steps during facility tours.
- Participate in process improvement activities planned by
management and/or engineers.
- Provide process improvement ideas to management to improve
efficiency and scalability.
- Assist in data collection to evaluate ideas or participate in
- Assist with organizing and maintaining personnel and training
- Attend training sessions on new, current and updated policies,
procedures, processes and duties.
- Attend company, department or project team meetings and
- Participate in projects and assist in project planning and
execution. May lead department team with support from
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Able to work in a regulated environment, handle patient
specimens and follow SOPs with great attention to detail.
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Able to anticipate and adapt to changes and complete work
assignments to achieve department and corporate goals.
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication
with internal employees, managers and customers.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability,
innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System
policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds for approximately 10% of a
typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a
computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 75% of a
typical working day.
- Considerable periods of time may be spent concentrating and/or
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and
instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing
elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- Use of various chemicals may be used to perform duties.
- May perform repetitious actions using office or lab tools.
- Some time spent using near vision to view samples at close
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- 2+ years of relevant experience in health care, laboratory or
pharmaceutical industry or other regulated work environment.
- Proficient in using MS Office (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
and PC workstation.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the
position with or without accommodation.
- Associate degree in science, health science or related
- Experience in healthcare, laboratory, pharmaceutical industry
or other regulated work environment.
- Experience with high volume laboratory operations.
- Experience with using Laboratory Information Management Systems
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin,
protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
and any other status protected by applicable local, state or
federal law. Applicable portions of the Company's affirmative
action program are available to any applicant or employee for
inspection upon request.
Keywords: Exact Sciences, Redwood City , Accessioning Technician II, Other , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!