Senior JAM Stack Front End Web Developer
Company: Stanford University
Location: Redwood City
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Stanford Web Services (SWS) is seeking a Senior React / JAM
Stack Web Developer to help build modern, statically generated
websites that integrate with multiple third party applications. If
using Git workflows and modern build tools, pre-rendered content
served out to CDNs and made dynamic through APIs and serverless
functions is your "JAM", then this job is for you.
In this position you will:
- Collaborate with visual and user experience designers, senior-
and architect-level developers, strategists, and project managers
to create sophisticated digital experiences using technologies such
as React, Gatsby, GraphQL, Storyblok, and Netlify.
- Work in an agile environment that includes stand ups, story
grooming, and peer review.
- Create accessible, semantically correct, responsive front-ends
that function consistently and accurately across all major browsers
- Implement user interfaces, with personalization and
contextualization from third party data sources, including Algolia,
Oracle, and custom-built APIs.
- Supervise, mentor, and check the work of other developers in
modern web component-oriented development practices.
Stanford Web Services (SWS) is an award-winning agency within
Stanford University providing web strategy, user experience, visual
design, and web development services to the campus community. SWS
is responsible for more than 3,400 websites and is part of
University Information Technology (UIT), a 600-person strong
organization supporting 100+ services for Stanford. SWS is a
geographically diverse team spanning much of North America, from
Rhode Island to British Columbia.
SWS takes pride in our mission to care for Stanford's
ever-evolving web presence, because supporting the research and
education mission of a world-class university can make a positive
impact in the world. We build beautiful, secure, accessible, and
effective websites, including giving.stanford.edu,
earth.stanford.edu, and many more. Everyone in SWS works directly
with campus clients and partners, and we are committed to
problem-solving using friendly and clear communication. In this
position you will work with Stanford Web Services to re-architect
and modernize the Stanford Alumni Association's and the Stanford
Office of Development's web portfolios. These two groups are a
critical part of the extensive Alumni and Development Applications
Platform Transition (ADAPT) initiative.
SWS uses GitHub to track hundreds of features and products,
contributes to open source projects, manages a pattern library for
efficient and usable designs, and evolves our products to empower
communication by our schools and departments.
As a part of the Stanford community, we encourage a culture of
real work-life balance; signing off at a reasonable hour is how
life should be. Our group includes musicians, a brewer, a master
gardener, an ultra marathoner, a lunchtime Zumba-enthusiast, a
champion marksman, and many loving parents. We like what we do and
other things, too!
Why Stanford Is for You
Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and
research to cure illnesses. Ponder what the world would be like
without the "World Wide Web". Stanford University has
revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. SWS is part of
Stanford's diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff that support this
mission. We seek talented people who are driven to impact the
future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you
- Freedom to grow: We offer career development programs, tuition
reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TED Talk, a film
screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader
- A caring culture: We provide superb retirement plans, generous
time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you: Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of
health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities.
We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun: Stroll through historic sculptures, trails,
- Enviable resources: Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing
incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the
"Apply for Job" button. To be considered, please submit your rsum
and a cover letter along with your online application.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or a
combination of education and relevant experience.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated significant experience developing for web content
- Demonstrated significant experience in developing websites and
web applications using open source tools, languages, libraries, and
current standards-compliant code.
- Ability to hand code HTML.
- Demonstrated ability to write, compile, test, debug, and deploy
software on UNIX-like platforms and web servers.
- Knowledge of web analytics tools and related analyses.
- Ability to design and manage relational databases.
- Ability to design and implement web services.
- Ability to interact positively with and build consensus among a
diverse group of colleagues, clients, and senior leadership.
- Ability to understand and manage greater web environment.
- Ability to design and integrate complex web enterprise
- Familiarity with browser devices and platform differences and
idiosyncrasies, and ability to develop workarounds to accommodate
specialized user/client needs and device platforms.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh
up to 10 pounds.
- Strong visual acuity.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of the job.
May work extended hours, evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford University's commitment to safely and effectively meet
the public health challenge presented by COVID-19 extends to
ensuring University employees may work from home, or another
off-site location, where determined appropriate, whenever necessary
through the end of June 2021. The department will give reasonable
notice when employees are expected to return to work at the Redwood
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by
positions in this job classification and are not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all
duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and
responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs
without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level
of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative
action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4873
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J
- Requisition ID: 89440
Keywords: Stanford University, Redwood City , Senior JAM Stack Front End Web Developer, Other , Redwood City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!